Interested in starting a discussion
with other women about work, love, and pray?
Find 4word Local Groups in Your Area
We are excited to connect you with professional women in your local area!
What does a 4word Local Group look like?
A Local Group connects professional Christian women at gatherings focused on growing authentic, life-changing relationships with each other and with God.
- Local Groups are led by professional women who are a part of the community and also have a desire for other professional women in their cities to find community. They are open to any woman who would desire to participate.
- They use flexible formats – luncheons with speakers, round table discussions, studies, and social events- to build and strengthen the community of women.
- They specifically address challenges unique to the professional Christian woman such as integrating her faith in her many roles, vocation and calling, spiritual identity, and practical challenges such as balance and communication at work.
4word supports Local Group leaders by providing leadership, partnerships, material for gatherings, leader team training and development, tools for operating, among many other assets.
We invite you to find a Local Group near you and join their private Facebook page and email list to see the latest events happening in your area!
Get started by clicking the city near you! Not seeing a 4word Local Group near you? Let’s get one started!
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Oklahoma City, OK
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
We believe professional women are influential leaders in their family, place of work, church, and community. Our mission is to connect you with other like-minded women, lead you, and support you so that you can live and lead vibrantly in your world.
The Local Groups host speakers, studies, and social gatherings to: » Grow your career » Grow your faith » Grow your network & community
As you can see, we are a group of women committed to challenging ourselves and impacting our communities.
What women are saying about 4word Local Groups!
“I have enjoyed every one of our guest speakers and developed a relationship with God during the small groups in a way I have never been able to do before.”
– Emily, Los Angeles
“4word has been such a blessing for me in just the right time in my life. It is bringing me back to a place of pressing into the gifts that God has given me as a working, professional woman.”
– Mary Clare, Dallas
“Through 4word, I’ve approached my work a lot differently. I’ve come at it with a lot more confidence than I had before. I know now that it’s okay to be really skillful at what I do and to love what I do [at work].”
– Maria, Portland
What happens when 8 fun, smart professional women in Dallas team up to put on an event to launch a 4word Local Group? Over 75 women show up for lunch, a speaker and to support a good cause. While the Dallas group had been meeting for over a year around a board room table to talk about what it’s like to excel at work, love their families and grow in their faith, they knew there were so many professional women in the area that would love to connect further. As women, we love to be invited – especially to lunch with inspiring and passionate women. The Dallas Group will be meeting quarterly for larger networking events with a speaker, as well as continuing to have monthly conversations around the board room table. If you are in the Dallas, Texas area, they would love to have you join them! Tanya, Heidi, Allison, MaryClare, Megan, Lucy, Brenda, and Rachelle are a committed group of women who are changing the landscape for the professional woman in Dallas.
4word desires to support church leaders in understanding women in the workplace. We also want to empower women to humbly approach their church to serve with their God-given gifts.
Why churches and why NOW?
4word believes that the universal church is manifest in local churches of which Christ is the Head; thus each “local church” is, in fact, the church, the household of God, the assembly of the living God, and the pillar and foundation of the truth. It is critical component of our faith journeys. We encourage participating in and serving a community of believers through your local church.
We also see that many churches are just now understanding the shifting demographics that are impacting their congregations. These shifts invoke a change in how we communicate with, serve, celebrate, and equip women in our church bodies. Otherwise, we will “miss” a significant portion of the women in the church and contribute to a scenario where the image of God (the Imago Dei) is not properly reflected, leading to women feeling isolated and underutilized, eventually leading to a decrease in women’s involvement in church.
4word’s strategy for Local Groups in cities is to build a team of leaders who are passionate about pursuing and leading women in the workplace. These women are equipped and then unleashed to network and gather women in the city together to begin meeting regularly with the intent to build an authentic community. Gatherings take place in locations close to work and at times that are convenient for women at work (mornings, lunches, evenings). Women discuss material provided by 4word, listen to a speaker, or create their own agenda! The goal is to be able to build relationships and share their work, love, and pray – all in one place! These gatherings draw women from all faith and professional backgrounds and are known for their non-competitive, supportive environment. Groups and leaders also seek to lead women back to local churches for deeper spiritual nourishment and community, often through relational evangelism.
- Download The Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics’ blog article by Sandra Crawford Williamson, “Why are Working Women Starting to Unplug from Their Churches?”
- Check out the work Western Seminary, a 4word partner, is doing around faith and work.
- 4word is a contributor to Christianity Today’s Today’s Christian Woman articles and newsletter Lifework. This newsletter provides monthly articles relevant to women living out their calling in the workplace. View current articles here.
- Article “Why Are Women Leaving the Church?”
- What are topics relevant to this audience? Check out the 4word blog here, which offers twice a week articles and interviews for our audience.
- Read Carolyn Custis James’ book, Half the Church.
- Check out Every Good Endeavor by Tim Keller.
- Connect with Local Group Leaders in a city near you.
- Start a 4word group for the women in your church. Email us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Host an “In Her Pew” event in your city. This event is a panel discussion with women and pastors to bring awareness in your church to ask them how you can help!
- 4word offers three books and two study guides to help launch small groups of women meeting together.
- Coming soon: 4-part video series “Look Closer, She’s There” by 4word and Western Seminary featuring pastors, professional women, and professors sharing the stunning statistics, experiences, and the heart behind bringing women back to church. Check this out if you are a professional woman, a pastor or lay leader in your church, or just interested in hearing the stories and reasons to invest in women.
- Start a conversation with women in your church around these topics. Watch the video series and/or download these questions as a starter for your time together.
- Coming soon: Top 10 Things a Pastor Can Do to Serve the Professional Women in His Church.
How does 4word support a local church that is interested in creating a program for working women?
- Consultation around strategies to reach women in your congregation.
- Speakers from our authors, founder, staff, and the greater 4word community on a wide range of topics.
- Co-branded Local Group facilitated through the church.
- Local 4word Mentor Program pairings.
- Materials and Resources for groups.
- Co-branded newsletters.
- Discounted Member Insider subscriptions.
Are you passionate about women and love what we are doing? Would you like to help 4word and women serve more churches and women in this movement?
Here are a few things you can do:
- Support the professional women in your life: Write them a note, send the flowers, or bring them a coffee!
- Ask questions! Humbly and graciously approach your church and ask how you can help serve women.
- Pray for the ministry of 4word and churches in this endeavor.
- Become an advocate and ambassador for women and for 4word.
- Become a leader of a 4word Local Group in your city.
- Become a mentor in the 4word Mentor Program (women only, please).
- Partner with 4word financially here to help make this possible.
Contact 4word at email@example.com or 817-692-1992.